Wednesday, November 12, 2008

National Toy Hall of Fame

So here's one for you, and I thought it was worth taking 15 minutes out of my morning to post this...



I was listening to the Rula and Ryan show on the radio on my way in to work this morning, and they were talking about the National Toy Hall of Fame. On November 6th, they announced three more toys had been inducted because they have "engaged and delighted multiple generations, inspiring them to learn, create, and discover through play." The criteria for induction includes: Icon Status, Longevity, and Innovation. To date, there are 41 toys that have been inducted, including the Yo-Yo, Frisbee, G.I. Joe, Legos, Play-Doh, Slinky, Roller Skates, Silly Putty, and the Easy Bake Oven.



So, what were this years' inductees? There were three altogether:




The Skateboard





-Tony Hawk, you're just playing with toys.




The Baby Doll



This is fine as long as it doesn't pee, poop, burp, or cry at/on me.

And finally, Drum roll please:


The Stick


So let's hear it for the stick! If you think about it, it totally makes sense. Great food, like Corn Dogs and Kabobs come on sticks, you can bond with man's best friend by playing "fetch" with a stick. You can use a stick to go fishing with, or to support you while hiking. Truly, the stick is totally amazing. Do you have any great memories of playing with sticks when you were younger (sling shots, hot dog roasts, sword fights, gun battles, etc.)? Or do you have any ideas of toys that should be nominated for the Toy Hall of Fame?

3 comments:

DeAnn said...

Is Barbie on the list? She's been around forever.

Stacy Ann said...

dont forget about roasting marshmellows!

Sarah C said...

I read this post last week and then I was doing Noah's laundry and when I was pulling the clothes out of the drier, what did appear, a freaking stick that he must have had in his pocket! It made me giggle because I thought about this post, it is so true!