Monday, May 25, 2009

Got dropped by the OB

My OB dropped me as her patient. Crazy Huh. You would think that there would be some sort of crazy reason why an OB would drop her patient at 35 weeks.. so here it goes.

This OB is an OB/GYN-Plastic Surgeon. Weird combo huh? So the lady is super materialistic..which really isn't me at all. I searched and searched online for a mid-wife in Texas, but there are none! So I just decided to go with this OB because she is the closest to my house, and she is in our insurance "network." At my first appt. with her, she tells me that she'll most likely induce me at 38 weeks, because that is what most mothers want. My jaw dropped and I told her how I was almost 42 weeks pregnant when I delivered Mac..and I let her know that I in no way wanted to be induced. I also told her that I like to deliver natural. She seemed totally fine with that.

Fast forward eight months...

She hasn't really ever asked about my birth plan, so I made my own and brought it into her. She read the first line (which talked about how I don't want to have continuous fetal monitoring) and she almost dropped her laptop on the ground. She then looked at me like I was crazy, and told me that she could in no way comply with my birth plan. She then went on to tell me that she has never had a patient not have continuous monitoring. She told me that once I was admitted into the hospital, that I needed to be in my hospital bed with the fetal monitors always going until I had my baby. I AM FLOORED!!! I can't believe what I am hearing. All I want is to be able to walk around in my room while I am in labor... you know getting gravity to work with me. I don't want to be strapped in a bed in intense pain..and then have to get an epidural...ahh no thanks. So I am sitting there in total shock. Is she really telling me that I need to get a new doctor at 35 weeks? REALLY? Then she tells me that it will be incredibly hard to find an OB that will comply with my birth plan. My birth plan is 100% normal in my book..and I am starting to feel so discouraged. She's totally making me feel like I am the weirdo! I had such a wonderful experience with my mid-wives in Seattle during the birth of McConnell and no one ever made me feel like a crazy weirdo lady that wanted to have a natural birth! Well Texas is much different! I took me at lease 20 phone calls later to find a doctor that would take me, and my potential birth plan. And the other 19 doctors wouldn't take me because I am so far along in my pregnancy.

What's a girl to do??? I just hope and pray that this OB will be willing to work with me and my birth plan. I'll keep you updated! Oh yeah did I mention that I cried for one whole day, because I was so stressed out about finding a doctor. I can't handle much more stress.. hopefully everything works out just right.

Besides my crazy drama with my OB, things are great with us. The kids are silly. Abby just finished her first year of preschool, she really loved it and learned so much! Mac is growing like a weed, and really starting to develop his adorable personality. Both the kids are excited for the baby, especially Abby. She is forever talking about little baby brother. Mac just lifts my shirt and hits my belly.... that's how the boys must communicate I guess! I would have pictures but our camera and computer don't get along..so we'll have to figure that out. That's all for now.. I hope to have pics up soon.

7 comments:

Kailey said...

First of all, AMEN SISTER to not getting induced!!! I can NOT stand all these doctors who PUSH inducement and c-sections to keep things on their schedule. What about the baby's schedule and what is right for that fragile little person? I had to fight off my doctor with our last one. She wanted me to plan a C-section before I knew that it would be necessary. Yuck!

Second, you have your baby the way YOU want to have YOUR baby with YOUR body! You are a rockstar for wanting to go all natural.

And third, it's great to have you back. Glad to hear that you guys are doing well, minus the present pickle you are in. Keep your chin up... it's not like the hospital can turn you away when your time comes! Could you imagine? Anyway, can't wait to meet the newest little W on here. Hope you get the camera thing figured out!

Lyndsi Wischmeier said...

Holy crap!! I have NEVER heard of a doctor that was THAT insane, and there are some weird ones out there! I'm SO glad you got rid of her, and that she won't be delivering your baby. She sounds like a psychopath. And seriously what is all this inducing-for-no-reason thing that doctors push on women? If you don't feel like your little bun is cooked, who is someone else to tell you to have it early?? Anyway, good job on not letting her push you around. Good luck w/ the new doc.

Andrea said...

Hey Allison! Good for you- can her!!! I'm glad she let you know now though, a lot of Dr's will go along with it until you're in labor and then push it on you. My Dr with Carter did that, being stuck in bed for no reason is stupid. My midwives (with Scott) would use a stethascope or hold the monitor on me while I moved around if they felt the need- midwives rock! The only reason Drs do that is that it allows them to monitor your progress from their office or whatever else they're doing! If you are worried about this new Dr you should look into having a Doula help. They do everything a midwife would without actually delivering the baby, and are a good advocate to reason with the Dr during the delivery. How did we get to this point where we have to fight for this?!?!?!?! I decided the next time I have a baby I'm going back to my midwives I had with Scott- so what if they're 10 hours away! You rock!! Keep being you!!!

Emma said...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. My dr. in Houston was great. But it would be about a 45 minute drive for you - although I did have a friend who made that drive just for him! There are mid-wives, but again I was on the opposite side of the city from you. My dr even took a patient who was 35 wks because she had just moved there. Tell him you know people in the Hermann Park ward, and you'll get in - I'm serious. Let me know if you want his info.

Erin said...

Please excuse my language, but she is a major biotch! I was able to sit on a birthing ball and walk around the room while they monitored my baby. That is bull crap that those offices wouldn't take you. What were you supposed to do if you couldn't find a doctor? Have him at home? I guess Ben or Abby could deliver him.

jules said...

It's so scary that there are doctors like that. I switched doctors at 36 weeks with Robby and had a GREAT experience. I was so glad I did it! But I know that feeling of being freaked out.

Gabriel said...

AJ -- Ben was filling me in on some of this stuff. I can't believe that. There should almost be some law that protects patients from doctors doing that kind of thing. The birth is about the mother, father and baby... not what makes the doctor on time for her golf game! I do have one question... why wouldn't they be able to monitor the baby the whole time and why is that something you don't want? I have no idea what any of that means.. I'm just curious as to what and why? Fill me in.